Wednesday, February 9, 2011

True Life: I am a Designer/Builder

I am now officially a student of Yestermorrow's Design/Build School. With the regeneration of the seasons, my mind will be also revitalized  as I begin my Certificate Program in late May. My course load will be composed with an array of awe inspiring classes, including but not limited to Natural Building Intensive, Regenerative Design and Development, Design for Deconstruction and Reconstruction, Constructed Wetlands, Rain Garden Design, Green Roof Design/Build, Solar Design, Sustainable Treehouse Design/Build, Yurt Design/Build and Timberframing. And that's just my first month! Here's my response to one of the central essay questions on the application. It's exemplary of my passion, determination and vision. 


How will Yestermorrow Design/Build School courses contribute to your lifelong learning goals?

The experiential education provided through Yestermorrow’s Certificate in Sustainable Building and Design will stand as the foundation for my growth as an engaged global citizen and empowered woman emerging as the next generation of optimistic, ingenuous designer/builders. 
As I develop my ideology and practice of composing a regenerative built environment coexisting with the natural environment, I will be diversifying and strengthening my capabilities as a proactive global citizen. Yestermorrow will grant me the toolset and skills I need to further my life long involvement as an environmentalist, humanitarian, feminist, activist and educator to strive towards the creation of a holistic society dedicated to an existence of consciousness, gratitude and hope.
My experience at Yestermorrow will be exceptionally rewarding considering the potential of transforming the demographic of designer/builders into a landscape supportive of and indebted to the contribution of women. As a women’s college graduate, Yestermorrow’s mission of self-sufficiency and civic engagement strikes a personal chord with my life’s intention of continuing to empower myself and help others attain agency in the process. By learning how to manifest the cornerstones of basic sustenance-food and shelter - with my own two hands, and working towards diversifying the perspectives of people already in the field of design/build to be accepting of alternative theories and practices presented by the genius of women, Yestermorrow will exceed my expectations of a life changing experience. I will be proactive in graciously welcoming this new outlook on life, and address daily the ways in which I can fulfill my responsibility as an inspired and independent female designer/builder.
Yestermorrow will guide me in the formation of my core beliefs, and erect the confidence in my newly gained craftsman expertise to mobilize and create integrated social and physical spheres glorifying nature and its precious gifts. The progressive, creative, and passionate approach of the curriculum is essential in the trajectory of my personal and career goals, and in my contribution to the progress and health of the greater society. Yestermorrow serves as the only educational institution that will provide the forum for me to accomplish these intentions to thus help compose a world that sustains the brilliance of human compassion and the ingenuity of nature.

No comments: