Sunday, March 13, 2011

And Here's the Curve Ball......

This post will serve as the forum to touch upon every out-of-this-world type of experience that has left me completely stunned in a clash of wonderment and slight confusion. Here's to the "what the hell is going on" life "accomplishments."

1. Encountered a scorpion spider the size of my face in our "communal" pantry. Imagine a daddy long legs on sport enhancing drugs with claws the size of a king crab spitting venom. WHOA moment.

2. Played wedding planner for a day in Sayulita, Mexico. I helped organize and execute a lavish Mexican wedding for 60 guests. My day consisted of running around with lace, paper flowers, bottles of tequila and white wine, color coordinating every napkin and chair seat, lighting 1000+ candles, comforting a crying bride, taking care of a drunk bride and groom as they were the last to leave the dance floor, and having the first college test kind of pressure of decorating the entire wedding cake that was melting before me. I think I will wait until I get hitched to be involved with another planning extravaganza.

3. Observed the lunar eclipse through a palm tree canopy amongst the nocturnal orchestra of the San Pancho jungle after my lovely mother woke up the entire jungle community including myself at 3 a.m. announcing this spectacular siting.

4. Learned how to maneuver and rock out on a surf board twice my size over treacherous coral reefs with only 2 feet of water cushioning my inevitable fall.

5. Worked at an Circus de Soliel show in San Pancho for the community center's, Entreamigos, annual fundraiser. 70+ kids from the community were chosen to participate in the performance. They only received 10 days extensive training while beautiful recycled costumes and sets were being simultaneously constructed by community members to culminate in the most magical event ever to take place in San Pancho. The entire campus of Entreamigos was transformed into a carnival for 48 hours with unicyclists, jugglers, unbelievable acrobatic performances, your typical friendly clown, and a plethora of vibrant colors, scents, sounds and people to satisfy anyone's senses. I even had the privilege to tote around a bucket o' beer and wine on an unicycle-bringing it back to the good ol' kinder days!

6.  Had my face shoved into a cake for my birthday by a group of 6-8 year olds while 50+ kids cheered them on. Mexican frosting is best when licked off your nose.

7. Drank some the oldest family owned tequila in the world on a lovely New Year's Day in Tequila, Mexico.

8. Received the pleasure of jamming out and busting a move with a total of 7 different 8 piece Cuban bands while I spend a winter in Mexico.

9. Learned how to navigate the machismo, corrupt waters of Mexican bureaucracy and come out alive with every goal accomplished and plus some.

10. Have fallen back in love with donuts, churros, fried bananas and ice cream bars.

11. Shot a quincinera photo shoot for a good Mexican friend on the beach in the dead of night. I was asked by the local Fruteria owner to take pictures for her daughter's quincinera- the coming of age celebration for young women in Latin America. I accepted the challenge, but did not foresee my girl being 3 hours late for her own photoshoot, therefore leaving me to take pictures of her and her lavish dress from the headlights of her boyfriend's dune buggy in the waves of the Lo de Marcos beach pitch black. I have to admit though, the final product was sensual and elegant- very Mexican.

12. Made an extensive Sangria concoction and gathered with 50+ people for one of San Pancho's biggest social events of the year- the exotic and cherished Superbowl Sunday.

13. Worked the margarita booth for the Amigos de Lo de Marcos fundraiser and sold 5 water fountain sized jugs of invigoratingly potent margaritas-it was a good party to say the least.We raised $50,000 pesos=$5,000 dollars for the cause. Cheers to that!

14. Discovered the first sign of wildlife on our property- a 1.5 meter long rattle snake. I don't think I will be ever going back to that neck of the woods.

15. Have been given the honor to be apart of opening 2 different non-profit thrift stores for the local communities of San Pancho and Sayulita, and am now working on designing and constructing a large community garden and composting center with Amigos de Lo de Marcos.

16. Fallen back in love with the good ol' One Tree Hill. On a "furthering education" level, I have taken this time to critically analyze the show's commentary on the socialization of sex, drugs and rock n' roll. At least that's what I tell anyone that catches me in the act.

17. Witnessed a tragic car accident on the jungle mountain highway from only meters away, but subsequently witnessed a miracle-they first car to drive by in the dead of the night with no major hospital nearby within 30 miles was an ambulance. Still, I have now made a vow to not travel at night no matter what.

18. Final curve ball for tonight- I don't go to the beach everyday.


More to come..........Here you go......

19. Attended several silent mediation retreats where I learned to do a walking mediation. Never have I ever moved that slowly in my life, and for those of you who know me, who know how difficult it is for me to simply walk let alone at a snail's pace.

20. Went skinny dipping.....well that's not a rare event for a young woman's Mexican adventure, but it was unbelievably memorable underneath the blanket of dazzling stars.

No comments: