Monday, March 28, 2011

The Pursuit of Happiness: Designing Life from Nature

While traveling through the coastal mountain highway on a crowded Mexican bus with Mamma Mia playing in the background I noticed a familiar field of grain tucked into a lush valley along the road. It took me a moment to think back to my earlier trips along this dangerous mountain road between San Pancho and Lo de Marcos, to this particular curve in the road. Then all of the sudden, I realized that this head high flowering grain was the crop I witnessed being planted only 2 months ago. Within this compressed timeline, the crop had sprouted, shot up into the air and developed its nutritional grain to be harvested. This realization left me with a feeling of frustration. This human driven agricultural crop had fully accomplished its mission in the past 2 months and I was still waiting on phone calls-completely stuck. Point to the grain.

As I continued on my bus journey into the canopy of the Mexican Riviera, this feeling of frustration evolved into a deep reflection. A mediation concerning the processes and productivity of nature in this localized region, and in relation to its people and their constructed social structures. I had to ponder the question: "Why has this crop come into full maturity while I wait for endless political procedures and permitting to be processed for months on end?"

Through this train of thought, I began to comprehend the parallels between the natural environment and the culture that has developed amongst this unique landscape. During my months of cultural immersion into the intricacies of Mexican social structures, power relations, traditional non-secular beliefs and practices, and the constant cultural connotations of the language has, I have gathered the research to thoughtfully compose this analysis through the lens of natural ecology.

I believe everything in life on this planet is given a time and place. The natural world along with the human constructed social sphere and built environment is dictated by ecological systems and processes. (I will be looking at the specific context of the small communities dotting the coastline of Nayarit.) While modern technologies, global trade and capitalism has adamantly challenged these natural evolutions of people and place, once you enter the traditional, interwoven social landscape of small Mexican communities, the concept of living from the land transcribes into a permeation of every thought, belief and practice in one's daily life.

While I may be impatiently waiting for the progress of our project in Mexico to gain speed, I must step back from my position and consider the holistic experience and all the players involved. Like the growing season of the grain along the highway, which experiences its period of peak productivity and then it's dormant or decomposes back into the earth; the governmental offices designate their energy to specific projects and development in a strategized manner. This may sound like ordinary political systems, but it's amplified in this context because the system is informed by the overarching culture. The political figures work in coordination with the seasons, whether it's in reference to the election season, tourist season, rainy season or religious/vacation season. They expend their energy in waves with periods of intensive production and then longer periods of rest and rejuvenation with their family and community.

This observation and analysis translates into a critique of the entire social landscape. Women and men, elders and children exert themselves for work, school and play in a conscious manner. Again, there is a time and place for everything. The rural Mexican culture does not disregard the natural ecology of their home and its influence of their way of life, instead the local ecology and gifts of the land are embraced. Through this optimistic, appreciative outlook on life, it is evident that the Mexican community in Lo de Marcos rejoices in the opportunities and happiness the land provides for the families of the town and beyond.

This is a ideal moment to incorporate one of my favorites quotes I have ever stumbled upon: "Live Simply so Others May Simply Live." This beautiful Mother Teresa saying exemplifies the concept of living at peace with the land and your community. Excessiveness, greed and materialism will only bring unhappiness to one's life. To succeed in leading a satisfying and compassionate existence, acknowledge the simply gifts of life-air, water, fruits of the earth and ones you love-and life will be a party.

I am thankful for this opportunity to reflect on such holistic frameworks present in our social and natural landscapes. Without this Mexican adventure, I wouldn't of taken the time to mediate on the importance of the crop of grain and my frustration with the political system, and therefore, my pursuit of happiness would not of been complete. I am now on my way- I just needed to take a deep breath and look around.

Alas, design your home and your life from nature, and your time on this planet will be bountiful.

No comments: